The Venture Program with March Capital
Objective and Overview: The Venture Program with March Capital is designed to promote and support student interest in roles in entrepreneurship, innovation, and venture capital at the Claremont Colleges. The three-month program, conducted from February 25th to April 29th, 2022, will expose students to the venture capital industry and innovation economy through guided research projects and a number of workshops led by the March Capital team. During the program, students will investigate areas of interest in March Capital and present their findings in a pitch competition.
March Capital will determine the focus areas for investigation prior to the program and students will group into teams of no more than three to build investment theses around those areas. Historically, March Capital has spent time in the following areas: Fintech, Enterprise AI, Cybersecurity, eCommerce Enablement, and Data and Cloud Infrastructure.
All RLCIE Fellows Candidates are welcome to enter. The prize for 2022 will be a reception hosted by members of March Capital following the competition, a March Capital swag bag, a cash prize of $5,000, and an invitation to attend The Montgomery Summit (May 24th and 25th). All competitors who make it to the presentation phase of the program will receive March Capital swag.
Expected time commitment varies, we anticipate the full program to take between 10 and 20 hours to complete over the course of three months (incl. workshops and final presentation).
Components of the Program & Timeline:
February 2022: Program Introduction and Workshops
- March Capital will facilitate two workshops for all interested program participants. a. “VC Fundamentals: How March Capital Operates” + “How to Build an Investment Thesis” b. “How to Identify and Evaluate High Potential Companies”
- The focus / top-line themes of the program and competition will be disclosed and sent out to all interested students following the workshops.
- Sample themes: “Distributed Computing”, “The Intersection of Information Sciences and Biological Sciences”, “Decentralized Technology and Blockchain”, “AI-based Healthcare Technology”
March-April 2022: The Program
- Students work in teams of up to 3 to form theses around one of the program areas of focus. a. Students self-select teams or opt into being matched with other students for the program. – Adele English, Senior Associate at March Capital, will hold monthly office hours for students in the competition.
April 2022: Presentations and Prize
- Student teams submit summaries of their investment theses (in doc or ppt format) to the March Capital team, via Adele English, and present their investment theses live to a panel of judges (incl. the Partners of March Capital).
- The winning team may have an opportunity to present their thesis to an extended group of the March Capital Investment Team.
- The prize is awarded to the winning team.
Spring 2022 Winners:
Alua Telemtayeva, CMC ’24, Jocelyn Jiminez, CMC ’24, Justin Ongchin, CMC ’24, David Enders, CMC ’24
About March Capital
March Capital is a top-tier venture growth firm headquartered in Santa Monica, California, and investing globally since 2014. March identifies entrepreneurs with a provocative vision to lead the future and later-stage companies poised for hyper-growth, then dares to go all in by leading rounds with deep conviction and concentration risk. With $2B+ in capital over 4 funds and across 30 market-leading technology companies, March accelerates the digital transformation of Cloud-based software, automation, AI & IT infrastructure. Our vision is to create a best-in-class technology investment platform by combining intense sector focus, patience, access to a global leadership network (including founding The Montgomery Summit), and high-impact portfolio engagement to inspire & accelerate extraordinary companies.
For more information on March Capital, please visit www.marchcp.com